View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 03:40 AM   #90
Pete walkswithhorse
Listen to the Wind

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Pete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
I am from a generation that grew up watching NA's portrayed mostly by white people in movies. Many movies did use real NA's, but with no speaking parts. I remember one such movie in which a Chief is a guest at some sort of mixed relations type ordeal. It was a John Wayne movie. So here's the Chief sitting proudly at the table with Wayne's character and the others actors, drinking as if there were no tomorrow.
Well he drank so much, he passes out. Okay, its a movie and it was made back in the 60's. However, to me, in my mind, this best represents the stereotype we see today of many NA's who are addicted to this poison. If any NA doubts the statistics about alcoholism. they ought to get informed. Many NA's have serious troubles. Not only with alcoholism, but spousal abuse and illegal drugs as well as petty crimes to support their habits. Maybe its me, but I am very sympathetic to our culture and feel we need to deal with this before we lose more natives to this poison. Its no secret, many tribal leaders struggle with this issue on almost all the reservations in this country. So much so that they resort to doing whatever it takes to deal with the problems before they get out of hand. Which in many instances, it has.

Alcoholism is very real and it affects many tribes and many nations. I cannot see how we can choose to ignore it any longer. Especially when we see the suicide rates we see among our young natives. Am I the only one who sees this?

horse
Pete walkswithhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook