View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 10:23 AM   #94
Toolbox
I pull your leg out!

Items Treasure ChestElephantPresentPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
I don't get why people still blame the manufacturers for the the problem. The issue lies with the individual and the predatory retailers (the White Clay stores). The retailers know that the people from Pine Ridge can't legally drink on the rez so they set themselves up outside to provide a place where they can legally purchase as much as they want. Although there is no place for them to legally drink in White Clay. Should there be 4 liquor licenses in White Clay, NO.

One of the biggest underlying issues is the level of poverty in any community. I grew up in the city, which one I'm not saying, alcoholism and spousal and child abuse and neglect were rampant. The only differences are that alcohol is legal in the city and we HAD a decently staffed police department. In sum if you create jobs there then people would begin to shift away from alcohol and White Clay problem drops to one store.

Simply shutting down White Clay isn't going to stop the alcoholism. People who want the booze are just going to DRIVE down the road to the next town that sells it and buy it. There will be higher incidences of drunk driving, accidents and deaths. Also that will just create a gray market for booze. You see not everyone who goes to White Clay drives or has a car and valid license so those that do will do runs to the next town and then resale and up-charge for the booze. That means less money in the pockets of the alcoholics for legitimate things like their electric or food bills.

The alcoholism is a symptom of the poorest economy in the country and of a break down in tradition. Fix the economy and the rest will begin to fall back into place. Invest in wind power, maybe?

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/
Toolbox is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook