View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 03:20 AM   #6
Pete walkswithhorse
Listen to the Wind

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Pete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Ours is a culture with some very definite conflictions.

I watch allot of movies. Especially westerns. I like how Hollywood thinks they know how we natives are supposed to be and all. I don't know whether to get angry at all the misguided history portrayed. Or laugh at the really ridiculous mistakes made by these people. Many of whom really haven't a clue what the hell they are talking about. When Kevin Costner decided to do Dances With Wolves, he took a great risk. In fact a financial personal risk as I understand it. Yet, accuracy was near the top of his list and thus he employed real NA's of various tribes and nations to portray the Sioux in his movie. He even had a language coach ( I believe her name was Doris Leader Charge ) come in and coach everyone in the original dialect of the Sioux tribes. It was difficult. Especially for the NA actors who never spoke NA ever in their lives. Yet, the need for some reasonable degree of accuracy was necessary in order for the audience to feel as though they really were watching Sioux tribal members conversing with each other. DWW was the first ever movie to employ so many NA actors and set it up with some historically accurate ideas. Of course the movie is fictitious, but the acting was incredible. Anyway, my point is that NA 's have been portrayed poorly over the years in Hollywood and in history. Every now and then, someone gets it pretty close to being right. I thought Costner's DWW was exceptional work. There have been others. Like "One Good Indian" with Wes Studi. Or "Last of the Mohicans". Again, with Wes Studi and Daniel Day Lewis. Every now and then people not within our culture do get it pretty close to being right and thus portray our culture in a way which people from other cultures can at least get some idea. Obviously, some fall flat on their faces to. The picture above in the opening OP is a good example of how many cultures disrespect the NA culture and abuse many of those things which are indeed sacred to us. Unfortunately, we have to deal with that. All we can do is counter it with truth and historically correct history as told by our ancestors. Making a mockery of ones culture is a shame.........

horse
Pete walkswithhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook