View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 05:53 PM   #126
Toolbox
I pull your leg out!

Items Treasure ChestElephantPresentPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
With consideration taken from your other posts since the reply quoted below I say this

What you are seeing is not excuses but the truth. If someone who is an alcoholic really wants booze they will drive 50 miles to find it.

Also it appears that you want the government to treat the tribes and the reservations as "nanny states" rather than letting them try to govern themselves. Also for the non tribal residents that live in the surrounding area who is to say that they are not allowed to consume alcohol.

In regards to suing the alcohol manufacturers and it having a drastic impact in the public spotlight, it would only last about a week. Remember Apple's big win against Samsung for well over a billion dollars? Huge patent lawsuit that has pretty much disappeared from the public spotlight.

You can't compare the smoking bans to this in the broader impact. With the smoking ban it was just a minor inconvenience for the patrons to walk outside and smoke rather than at the bar or table. We are talking about 50 miles not 50 feet.

I'm sorry but banning alcohol outside of the rez for a radius of 50 miles is just ridiculous and way too far left statist nonsense. Again that would set up a nanny state situation which means the tribes can't even govern themselves.

I'd type more but I've got to leave now. I will be back on later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete walkswithhorse View Post
All I see are excuses why we ignore or even forget the issue of liquor being sold to NA's right next to a res.
The idea one may have to drive out of their way, heaven forbid. Or one may smuggle it back or worse yet, drive drunk on the way back to the res. Makes no sense what's so ever and is in fact a clever way to literally dodge the issue. Should alcoholic beverages be allowed to be sold right next to or within "X" amount of feet from a reservation. That is a matter for the courts to decide. In reality, suing a company is merely a formality. It brings attention to the issue(s) and allows them to be put in perspective. Which by the looks of things, that is what needs to happen. Of course, I am just voicing an opinion. Which I am allowed to do in this forum. That broader impact you mentioned. Well, I am sure if you check the statistics in similar cases, you will find little to no impact is felt. Like removing smoking from bars and restaurants for example. Everyone that ownes a small business cried and complained, but in reality they never lost a single dime. It was all grandstanding. Just like this issue with removing the liquor from in or near the res is.
"Oh, I will go out of business". Or, " I cannot afford to lose my liquor license". These same excuses have been utilized numerous times and have failed numerous times.

horse

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/
Toolbox is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook