View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 10:46 PM   #128
Pete walkswithhorse
Listen to the Wind

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Pete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardancer View Post
I will accept your apology for the "Peace Pipe" remark. My GGG Grand Father was Black Kettle, leading Peace Chief of The Southern Cheyenne.

I don't believe you when you say you" embrace your Cherokee side far more than your white side". If you did you would know where your people really came from ! You see I know The Cherokee creation story and it does not involve a land bridge. Nor does The Cheyenne creation story.
I also don't care what archeologists and paleontologists have to say about it.They can not prove that those particular individuals that may have crossed a theoretical land bridge , colonized this entire country , creating a thousand or so "Tribes" and creating as many languages as there are. Sorry , I just don't buy it. I'll stick to My Peoples story !

Now,on the issue of alcohol. I am an alcoholic ! Haven't had a drink in over 20 years. That was my choice. No one forced me to drink, it was something I chose to do. I decided I wasn't going to live that way. It wasn't the beer bottle's fault , not the beer companies fault , not the vodka manufacturers fault.....only mine. People taking responsibility for their own actions.....period
Chief Black Kettle of The Southern Cheyenne? The same Chief Black Kettle whose people and encampment were massacred by Federal Army Troops? The same Chief Black Kettle who upon seeing those troops, raised an American flag that was a gift to him from President Abraham Lincoln?

I am in awe. I have nothing but the greatest respect for this particular Chief. I have read many versions of that day, but somehow, I cannot come to terms with why and how such a terrible tragedy was allowed to happen to begin with. I am, of course, referring to the "Sand Creek Massacre" which occurred in the late 1800's. Please accept my sincere condolences for your grandfather and his people. I really mean that with all my heart. Even now I cannot speak of this without getting emotional. I once spoke with a man who was a combat veteran from WWII. I really don't recall his name and wish I did. We talked mostly about WWII and history. Near the end of our conversation, I asked if he might be NA. He said yes and proceeded to tell me he was from the Southern Cheyenne Nation. We talked longer and he began to tell me the story of his grandmother who was at that massacre and killed. Needless to say, I can be emotional about such things. I was simply unprepared for the brutality of what he described and I thought about how these people, many women and children were mowed down and killed for absolutely nothing. I am sorry about going on. Its really not polite of me to talk about your GGG Grandfather like this, but please know this, I have great respect for him and you. Thank you for sharing with me.

I think the issue of the alcohol near the res will be resolved maybe in a court of law perhaps. I am very outspoken about this issue. I am sure you can see this, but respect you and your opinion(s) no matter what.

As for the land bridge. I do respect our culture and the story of where our people originated. I am just trying to express a more modern approach and the last thing I wanted was to offend you or any other member in here by my remarks. So please again, accept my apologies. I am a new poster and have much to learn and it seems those lessons are being learned right here right now. Thank you again Wardancer.

Pete Walkswithhorse
Pete walkswithhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook