View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 12:49 PM   #138
muskrat_skull
Senior Dancer

Items DollCatTreasure ChestDevil
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
muskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond repute
muskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
1. The issues are resolved.
2. The only thing left is choice.

If you dislike the choices being made, blame the people making them and not those making them available.

To do otherwise seems a bit silly.
I love pragmatism.

The problem is, getting people to sober up enough where they can make a choice and exercise their will fully. Maybe a temporary ban is something that is useful in that way, I don't know. It certainly will not help everyone, because there are some people that are just gonna drink to way beyond excess, no matter how weak it makes them or how many people they hurt. And if it isn't alcohol, then it will be something else.

I think that there is two types of responsibility-- the "historical" responsibility--yes if alcohol had never been brought here or things wouldn't have gone a certain way or if a store hadnt been built or a beer company even been started--then this particular problem wouldn't exist.

Then there is the pragmatic type of responsibility in that, I can only change what I can control, I can only control what I take responsibility for. I am responsible for drinking, personally, pragmatically, if I choose to do so. If not, then no one would be able to quit drinking and every alcoholic would face a hopeless existence.

But, alcoholics cannot quit while drunk, at least 99% of them. And they need support until their brain is functioning properly again and they are strong enough to maintain. Pragmatically, someone has to pay for education, support systems, interventions, and dry out. If the companies are pushing an addicting, even toxic product, then let them pay the cost of this incidental damages rather than government and communities. So tax em, fine em, whatever and let someone oversee that "help" from liquor companies doesn't just amount to a website and pamphlets. I personally don't want to pay for someone's drinking habit, since I don't drink, but if I did, I would just accept a higher price on liquor, since no one plans to be an alcoholic, well, maybe a few people , and the help would be there for me as well.
muskrat_skull is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook