View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #54
muskrat_skull
Senior Dancer

Items DollCatTreasure ChestDevil
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
muskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond repute
muskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
No. It's changed your family. That's NOT "destroyed."

And the answer is to STOP being romanticist and be real. Don't even lie to yourself. There's nothing harder, I assure you.

I assure you, I have a life and am responsible for everything that occurs in it. I do NOT hide the truth from myself, not anymore. Not even when I don't like it. ("Compassion" would have been someone helping me locate truth, sooner.)

The only thing I "make happen" is -- on a good day -- someone actually thinks about what they're saying, doing or believing. That folks may "get sick of that" shows their level of personal growth.

There are PLENTY of folks, here and elsewhere, who aren't bothered at all. Only those with preconceived and romanticist notions tend to ever have an issue...

"Reckless with my strength?" Great phrase but I've been there, before. In many ways, I'm as rigidly an analytical person as you're ever going to find. (Reckless? Hah!) Does that make me smart or anything? No more than the average human. All it really means is I am a disciplined thinker not tied to any particular ideology.

There are those who would presume it makes me non-Native in bearing.

Perhaps.

But, without making a comparison, I'll bet Pontiac, Tecumseh, Crazy Horse, Chief Joseph, Sitting Bull, etc., were all pretty aggressive and analytical for their day. (It's how they survived.)

Folks that romanticized a way of life that no longer worked? Well, they died.

Powwows can be fun. Don't pretend they're traditional or meaningful to our continued existence.
We aren't living back in those days, but now, and I believe we can live a peaceful life if we so choose, Indian or not, and not have to worry about dying because of it. we don't have to be like our ancestors because of what they did for us back then and through the 1960s and 1970s on to today. And I haven't heard of anyone changing their minds on whether Indians are good and deserve to live and have a nation and so forth in the middle of a war with them. Only during peace, however dicey it may be, does anyone get a chance to talk.

My family was totally destroyed by a failure to pass on heritage, they became dark skinned people without a race, who neither spoke spanish nor any language of their heritage, they became lost and searching people, alcohol was their culture, a central feature in photos and even the labels under them. My favorite one is "even the mothers drank!" as they are all drinking during prohibition.
They lived in shame of their ignorance, of their drunkenness, and being cut off from any culture but getting drunk.

I can't blame my grandmother though, something bad happened when she was young and she was pregnant at 16 and then married some abusive guy who didn't let her tell anyone about her heritage. Because of the alcohol, being poor, and the fact they were not Christian church goers, they were afraid of losing the kids all the time. At least I think that is why. could be boarding school crap, who knows. la-tee-da and so it goes. It did destroy my family. Most are dead from alcohol and smoking related illness and the ones alive never knew anything and never cared they were too busy partying, and they are on their way out.

It does destroy people, maybe not you, but some. Some need it, just like some white people need church, they just do. We aren't all the same. And not just people like you are valuable, we all are necessary.

You are young and reckless with your strength, we all are when we are young, but we end up much better if we try to look forward and plan rather than always looking back and trying to be what was.

And you know, all the ancestors you mention, it would be so nice to hear about them in a discussion as support of your points sometimes.

Oh and denial or not thinking about your disease is exactly what you need to do when you reach that point where you are on the downslope of life. this is how people get through without freaking out every moment of the day. It is strength. doctors will tell you that you will live much longer and require less attention, and it is the basis of many types of traditional medicine techniques. mind over matter. all sick people are aware we are sick our bodies remind us, but pain is worse if you sit and think about it. Its hardly romanticism. It is survival, as practiced since human existence. Its called sucking it up and going on.

Now I need to go, not feeling so well.

Last edited by muskrat_skull; 02-17-2013 at 08:02 PM.. Reason: clarity
muskrat_skull is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook