Thread: Hello! :)
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 08:32 PM   #7
Fang
Frybread glutton

Items Treasure Chest
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Fang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond repute
Fang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by saraoclara View Post
Did you know Lakota in childhood then? It is such a beautiful language and culture, it would be a shame to lose it, so I am very glad that you are reconnecting with your heritage. :)
I remember being in New Mexico and most of the Navajo children I knew had little interest in learning their language, and it's a story that can be applied to most aboriginal cultures. It's just so sad.

But anyway, I am very glad to meet you and Muskrat_skull (and any other members!) and I can't wait to take this journey with you. :)
I spoke some Lakota as a child, and I had been learning about our culture and traditions in childhood through one of my family members. But, how should I put it... The past few generations of my family have lived away from the rez, and the past 2 generations, my mother and grandmother, have been rather hostile to 'anything native'. They grew up during a time when anything considered ndn was negative and pretty much beaten out of them. My mother would constantly say "I don't give a crap about that Oglala sh*t. That's history, and you know how I feel about history". So as I got older, I stopped trying to learn (albeit neglecting my great grandmother who passed back in '08-09, and she was the last one in my family to really have a connection to our heritage). So now, I'm re-learning. Starting from the beginning as a child would, and finding my way.

It's not uncommon for many youth these days to have little interest in their culture. The younger generations are more concerned with other [superficial] things, rather than keeping traditions and culture alive and moving forward.
Fang is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook