Thread: Hello! :)
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 09:22 PM   #8
muskrat_skull
Senior Dancer

Items DollCatTreasure ChestDevil
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
muskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond repute
muskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fang View Post
I spoke some Lakota as a child, and I had been learning about our culture and traditions in childhood through one of my family members. But, how should I put it... The past few generations of my family have lived away from the rez, and the past 2 generations, my mother and grandmother, have been rather hostile to 'anything native'. They grew up during a time when anything considered ndn was negative and pretty much beaten out of them. My mother would constantly say "I don't give a crap about that Oglala sh*t. That's history, and you know how I feel about history". So as I got older, I stopped trying to learn (albeit neglecting my great grandmother who passed back in '08-09, and she was the last one in my family to really have a connection to our heritage). So now, I'm re-learning. Starting from the beginning as a child would, and finding my way.

It's not uncommon for many youth these days to have little interest in their culture. The younger generations are more concerned with other [superficial] things, rather than keeping traditions and culture alive and moving forward.
I went through similar things. I did hear my grandma speak, under her breath, to us kids and we would have to be quiet to hear it. "shhh grandma's speaking..." then we cranked the tv back up because we didnt understand it. My uncles would say, oh she's just drunk because they didn't learn and they were drunk. I got "dont ask her it will just embarass her". but it isn't like being Italian or something. my family never wanted to stand out as being different from the non-ndn neighbors, never talked about it.
muskrat_skull is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook