Thread: Ponca Songs
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 03:30 PM   #15
RedShield
Singer/ Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
RedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond repute
RedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gledanh Zhinga View Post
noNzhiN ti the tho be [repeats} 'noNzhiN" means to arise.
hethuska zani noNzhiN ti the tho be o he the oem. "hethuska zani" means "hethuska members; all." This song indicates that when a song is sung, no one remains seated. All arise to take part in the dance.
The man I learned from told us about this song, that it was one to be sung at the beginning of the session if say, someone else had sung the starting song, or for whatever reason. But it was a beginning song not be sung out of place. It was also a song that he used to help demonstrate the "Ponca slur" where the words would be spoken one way and sung another... we would always sing this one as (I apologize, but I'm trying to spell this out more how it would be sung phonetically not as it would be spelled)... Nah-zee-chi-lay-do-bay instead of Nah-zee tee-aye-tho-bay... I always liked this song a lot... glad you mentioned it.