View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #5
muskrat_skull
Senior Dancer

Items DollCatTreasure ChestDevil
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
muskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond repute
muskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by navajo man 56 View Post
I don't know if its my place to say this and i'm sorry if anyone is offended. That being said i feel i should say it.

we were once a great nation of Proud, self reliant, and strong people, but now it seems that we are not that way anymore. We survive by getting help from the government that betrayed us so many times. We partake of a substance that out once great enemy brought to us. Our country that once was ours is now taken from us, the land we call our mother is taken and abused by these foreign invaders. Our country that we used to run is now run by the people who came and wiped our ancestors. Our land taken from us and we are forced to the so called fairness of reservations. We watch all this happening and seem to do nothing about it. Our people don't do anything, but we say that we need to change, we say we are still here. Look at the way society sees us. People think we are dead, gone, extinct. Those who know we are still around think of us as an inferior people, drunks, and homeless beggars. There are people who realize this, but i don't think there is enough. What are we going to do about it?
The world has changed, and people change with it. We live in a world dominated by consumerism. This is destroying the planet and all people. If you live without water or electricity, in most places, they can take your kids away. The abandonment of traditional beliefs and ways of doing things is happening not just in this country but around the world. The problems you describe are not just Indian problems, but worldwide.

There are lots of groups involved in fighting this trend and just Indian people changing will not keep the planet from dying, and if you don't have a planet, its pretty hard to live any kind of way. That is the real problem. There is the UN stuff going on to protect indigenous people, should go without saying in my opinion. Not much, but a start.

I see plenty of people speaking out and doing things, but politically, many of the states that need the most environmental reform and that have the most problems, socially and economically, are "Red" or Republican states that have gutted environmental agencies then complain they are useless and fight to get rid of them altogether. They also receive the most government aid, though less of it probably goes where it should. So why do people vote this way? I honestly don't know. And why don't better people run? It is the system we have, and unless you get sovereignty, it what everyone in this country has to deal with, and it could be much worse.

There are nations fighting for sovereignty in the United States. But what good is nationhood if your water supply is contaminated with natural gas, due to poor legislation/regulation in the neighboring US?

I like natural ways of living, have some land, water, rabbits, chickens, gardens and wild plants and animals. We try to live simply, but I also have tvs, computers, stereo, etc. And I can't eat the fish in my pond but once a week, or from the river or the ocean, because of the mercury in the rain, that is put there from power plants. When i get the money, I want to go to solar, but you still have battery consumption and battery disposal. And the mercury will be there still. And soon the oceans will be fished out anyway.

Not everyone thinks we are dead, gone, extinct. I guess it depends on what you consider being Indian to be. Plenty of us are quite alive, educated, working, giving back, solving problems, in all fields. People who talk about Indians in the past tense or through stereotypes of drunkenness and poverty, they are just ignorant and not worth the time, just like people who think we all wear buckskin and bones all the time. If you count all mixed race people, Indians in America are probably close to a majority, like in Canada. At least for now.

I did have trouble a few years ago, when I tried to Google "famous Native Americans" and only got a list of historical people, no current day people or current leadership. I expected current day people, there are plenty of authors, actors, musicians, scientists, inventors, leaders, people in industry, technology, and politics. That wasn't good. I haven't tried it recently.

It seems, at least in my family or so they say, there was a time where they felt they had to decide if they wanted to maintain community ties or move away, go to school or learn a trade and assimilate with white society so they could get better jobs and advance in society. I don't think people should have had to make these choices or should have to. People moved away or some even stayed through removal, some people assimilated to get jobs and education or married whites, whether the Indian communities recognize them or not, I don't know, they just took a different path in life, but were still forced to do something.
muskrat_skull is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook