View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013, 11:54 AM   #210
rezrazed
Banned

Items Tree
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
rezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond repute
rezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by comadre View Post
First I want to ask where you pulled your stats from? You did not identify the means in which you obtained this info.Working in the field of substance abuse I can tell you that the numbers will vary depending on the research reported.
Concerning the genetic connection (It has been a while since I have worked in this field) it seems the last I knew of there still had not been a genetic marker found in anyone that could identify, much less predispose one to alcoholism.Perhaps that has changed since I last studied the subject.
What I have found however is a definite pattern of generalization about alcoholism concerning the native community. Usually coming from the non native community and not from a native.It always saddens me to hear of such generalizing as it always fuels stereotyping which then of coarse breeds prejudice.
the reference Wyo posted is exactly what I would have referenced.
Thanks Wyo. And I'm not generalizing, I think I speak a little more candidly because I'm more than familiar with the subject and I'm not very politically correct, and from what I've experienced, and forget that not everyone realizes from what angle I'm coming from.

Quote:
On the issue of being poor or living in poverty.
Many of my native friends have told me that if one has an adequate amount of family and friends then you are rich.And of coarse, because wealth as we all know is spread differently in native community than it is elsewhere. My point? simply that we should be careful how we define what poor is before we use it as a contributing factor to anything at all.
I never said that poverty was a cause, but can play a factor in to why one would chose to drink. "Things are rough, I'm tired of stressing over ......, I'm just gonna get drunk and forget it...." Heard that one alot.

Quote:
This thread is concerning the socio issue in Whiteclay, South Dakota. The only comment I have to this is that my hat goes off to the social workers and therapists seeking to bring healing to that community and thank God Almighty you rezrazed are not in community activism as your faith in community change seems lagging.
I was asked a question based on my experience and that is what I gave. With all due respect comadre, I don't think you know the first thing about my faith in any matter, nor my contribution to my community, or the efforts to change it. I think this may be a little presumptuous of you and quite truthfully a little disrespectful.
rezrazed is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook