Thread: hello!
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 12:43 PM   #11
docat
Pronounced like "docket"

Items Rainbow$CakeTreasure Chest
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
docat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond repute
docat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by lime_soda View Post
My mom has done our genealogy, my grandpa was born somewhere near Browning.

I think my main goal is to learn some history, maybe this summer I'll meet some of my cousins that live really far away, I'd like to see where my grandpa was born.

Oh that's great that it's already done. Good luck meeting your cousins. There is something (at least in my experience) wonderful about going back to the places where your ancestors had been, not just to the rez but to the other places they were from before the time of confinement.

Let me suggest one other resource that many forget about. There is a source I use a lot. It's called NewspaperArchive.com You can search his/her name...these archived newspapers go back to the early 1800s. I was astounded at how much information I found out about my family through this resource. I mean, many in the family or in the tribe couldn't read English, yet the newspapers were filled with NDN news for the white people to read.

All the news isn't good news. Anytime one of my kinfolk got drunk or fished too many catfish or borrowed something without permission (which I am sure was going to be returned), it was in the paper. I found some of my family were involved with kidnapping students from boarding school and other heroic deeds too.

Anyway, I think a trial subscription is free. It might be worth your time to check it out...just to see if your family names are in there.
docat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook