Thread: pellon
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013, 12:23 PM   #26
LeannB
LeannB

Items DollDollCat
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
LeannB has a reputation beyond repute
LeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by docat View Post

Oh man, I would have never thought of coffee filters. That's a great idea.

I had one of these Iroquois whimsey beaded boxes from 1906. It was dated on the top. It was made for the tourist trade. Anyway, I bought it off ebay, and I took it apart to salvage the old beads because it was falling apart. They used the weirdest things inside to make the box. It was lined in paste board (different than cardboard, something they used in the old days) but that wasn't enough strength, so part of a cigar box was used inside and some old clips and there was disintegrated tissue paper.

It could be that the stuff they stuck in there caused the box to fall apart because the metal clips had rusted through and the other pieces including the pasteboard had turned brittle and full of acidic foxing.

HOWEVER, I salvaged some VERY nice 100+ year old beads that were very pretty, and looking at the reds, I think they are French glass...the French reds have a particular look to them...they are quite nice.

Not sure what I will do with them, but I really wanted to save them because the box itself could not be saved.

We wanna see those beads! They sound PURTY!

Last edited by LeannB; 04-10-2013 at 12:25 PM..
LeannB is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook