View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013, 09:33 AM   #3
OLChemist
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by RozZy View Post
I'd love to hear about any ideas you might have about changes!
UCLA huh. My Aunt is a prof there -- different department. Welcome to powwows.com

Rostam, since you are planning to go into the image-making industry, I'm going to try for a teachable moment. I'm going to say some hard things, please hear me out.

You are coming to our culture from a highly romantic and unrealistic point of view. Your comment about falling in love with us as a people, suggests you have fallen in love with you idea of us as a people. "...[W]armer and loving people..." I'm a Native person and I love my culture, but even I don't love all Indians. And I suspect my the time this thread gets shredded, you won't love all Native people either.

You story is not a Lakota story. The synopsis you gave doesn't reflect Lakota values. It is instead full of dominant culture tropes.

Let me tell you something about Lakota culture, there is a time and place for discussing visions and a non-Native, student film isn't that time or place. Please try to understand, we do not causally discuss the sacred. There is power in these things and to play with that, even to name it carelessly, is dangerous. If you don't know where those boundaries are you have no business attempting the topic. A five hundred word post online will not teach you where these lines are, only living the culture will. The best you can hope to accomplish is a ethnographic drag act.

As a Native woman, I am:

Tired of only seeing my people depicted in the 1800's.

Sick of seeing the media depict traditional religion like an LSD drug trip.

Weary of being romanticized.

As a Native woman, I want to see Native characters who:

Live in modernity.

Don't have tragic, romanticized pathological lifestyles.

Aren't tree-hugging, crystal-licking mystics.

Deal with the kind of tensions a Native person in the modern world faces.

If you want to discuss a non-sterotypical, contemporary depiction of Native people, I suspect you will find many who will help you. Not the least of which is the local urban Native community around you -- the largest is the US.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook