View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013, 12:37 PM   #5
OLChemist
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Hostile? Rostam, if you think my response is hostile, I suggest you be very very careful where you take your tender feelings. Are you getting mad because, I'm failing to live up to your romantic expectations?

Let me I tell you what your story says to me:

Here is another exercise in white guilt, with my people as props. Some Indians victimized by the white people. Instead that doing what a warrior people like the Lakota would do and fighting back, one Indian commits suicide and the other prays. But opps there is a helpless, lost white dude that needs saving. So Mr Indian helps out and learns to like the wasicu. Then he finds his new buddy is kin to the murder and rapist. But he only gives murderer a warning. Then poof, the Indian is gone, ground under the wheels of Manifest Destiny.

The credits roll. The audience wipes away their Iron-Eye Cody-esque tear. Safely insulated from any real connection because they are nice environmentally friendly, hipsters who recycle and don't rape pregnant women.

It's Last of the Mohicans. It's Dances With Wolves. It's Avatar. It's the same old reverse captivity narrative.

If you insist on casting your tale in this mythical, Grizzly Adams world, why don't you try the harder tale. Why don't you tell a real story of cultural contact? Where neither side is saint or sinner. But all parties are just trying to do what their ethos tells them is right and there is the tragedy. Morality tales work better when we can see our faults in Iktomi's actions.

As for research on the internet... The meat of my culture isn't on the internet. Many lies about my culture are. It doesn't live in books. It is in the community, language, stories, arts.... It is living and changing and swirling all around you, but unseen. Because we are in this world as well as the past.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook