View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013, 12:52 PM   #6
Fang
Frybread glutton

Items Treasure Chest
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Fang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond repute
Fang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by RozZy View Post

The reason I'm not doing it contemporary is because of when it started and when the world wasn't destroyed by the settlers. Coming from another country and being closer to nature makes you see things in America that are scary. Like that that it usually takes you two hours of driving to see a natural forest that hasn't been destroyed yet. The people I talked with where 50+, the younger generation I talked to didn't seem to want to talk with an outsider. I want your voices to be heard but hostility is making it hard.
Funny, I would love to see it as a contemporary film BECAUSE of the reasons you listed for not doing it. You personally have seen the world change and the differences between cultures, so draw on that personal feeling and emotion instead. You can draw from personal experience on the idea of seeing how the destruction of areas can change a person's life. You also have personal experience like many of us, in being away from your traditional culture. Growing up in a world where the majority's ideas and beliefs may be vastly different from the ones you were taught by family. You understand how difficult it can be to try and find your place in a world that may not understand a large part of you. Or the struggles you may have trying to find your place in your own culture due to being so far away for so long. THAT can be how you relate to many native peoples and get their voices heard. Not all this 1800's gobbledygook.

Yeah, the world's not like it used to be. Sure it takes you two hours to get to a forest over there on the west coast. But that's nothing new. Things change, humans destroy/make things into what they wish. That's life. That isn't solely a Native American thing, and it isn't just an American thing.

If you want to reach ANY audience, relate to them on a level they can understand emotionally. Relate the experiences of the characters to the experiences that an audience can feel. All this pseudo-spiritual cultural crap... it ain't us. If your native community can't relate to a story that's about them and they call it out for its bullsh*t, you can be sure that the non-native audience will probably miss the point of what you were trying to say. And if you want to do a story about how the world is changing and nature is being taken over by human developments... do a story about that, without trying to include the native community for your "love of them".

On top of all that, you talk of spiritual things without a proper understanding. That understanding is not something that you can accurately learn without being involved in a culture (if that's if people even wish to share the information with you). If you don't understand something, leave it alone.

Your story is just too romanticized. It will just yet again portray our/my people in this old fashioned yippy-dippy tree-hugging facade without accurate representation.

And I gotta ask, why Lakota? You're in Irvine and went to an Irvine powwow. Why not focus on some of the Cali natives? Why not talk to some Chumash, Kumeyaay, or people from other tribes in the area where you can get a more accurate representation of their history and how they also live today?

Last edited by Fang; 06-17-2013 at 12:57 PM..
Fang is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook