Thread: song making
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013, 12:44 PM   #4
Zeke
Self-Righteous Injun

Items Treasure ChestPresentTreasure ChestPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe View Post
Times have changed. A long time ago a man earned his way to the big drum. For the most part respected elders held a spot at the drum and were respected for their drum knowledge.

Not so anymore. Drums today are dominated by singers under 40. Young people have become the rockstars of the powwow world complete with groupies! *L They now set new standards for our next generation to conform to. This changes the whole dynamics of powwow culture.

Is this a good thing?

It all depends on who is doing the answering.
I am not a singer but when I was a child I often thought "when will I be old enough to sit at the big drum?"

By the time I was invited out, it wasn't the drum I dreamed of as a child and I did not care for it.

1. Folks who knew me wondered where I'd been for twenty years.
2. Folks who didn't wondered who the old guy was.

I didn't bail at break but remained the whole session -- and didn't wander around -- because that is the etiquette I knew wearing long pants in the hot sun.

They thought I was an idiot as they wore Adidas shorts and gangsta' angled baseball caps.

I did learn a lesson, though. As inherently progressive as I am, there is a strain of Oklahoma roots that I'll never grow out of as I wouldn't even think of going to the drum in shorts.

Ratty jeans and a t-shirt wearing Keen sandals or sunglasses while fancy dancing? SURE.

But nylon shorts?

Eff that.

Jesus, I guess I am a traditionalist...
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook