Thread: food stamps
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #12
Fang
Frybread glutton

Items Treasure Chest
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Fang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond repute
Fang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
I can understand both sides of the issue to an extent, especially where children may be involved. Yet I have trouble comprehending why we are okay with drug tests for various jobs, but are not okay with it for those in need of assistance. To sum up my upcoming rant, I believe that we should not shun those who seek help in earnest, but we should also not give blindly.

There are So many who use drugs no matter what their financial or family situation is. Many business professionals across the board and those who hold a standing in the communities often use drugs just as much as those in poverty. Because of this, I have trouble seeing how drug testing is any different, no matter who it's on.

We use people with children as one of the reasons to not have drug testing. In a way that makes sense. If a parent who has a substance in their system gets denied government assistance, the children suffer. But on the other hand, we do drug tests in the workplace in order to make sure that the employee is of the right mind while also providing a safe and drug free environment for other employees. If an incident were to happen at a job and substance abuse was one of the factors (I've witnessed several cases when individuals were negligent in their occupation due to drugs, and in some cases injuries of innocent people happened because of it), many of us may wish that drug tests were required prior to hiring potential employees. That employee could have children also, and there is a chance that children might suffer a great deal when their parent loses their job for a drug-related instance at work.

Yet if an individual is in need of financial assistance, we immediately say that they shouldn't need a drug test. If they are so low on funds and are in desperate need of government assistance, I would hope that illegal substances (or legal in some States) would be the last thing on their mind and that their top priority would be the well-being of themselves and their families. If that's the case, what does it matter if they are tested or not? It would be an annoying little inconvenience for getting what people need to take care of their family.

On the other hand, if an individual is a drug addict with a good deal of substances in their system, how do we know for certain that the money will be used to benefit their family? There are many who use various substances and are good people who want the best for themselves and those around them. But for them and those who have a small amount of drugs in their system from previous usage, I feel they should be allowed assistance for themselves and their children, but also have to either go to narcotics meetings or take some other action that shows that they are making an effort to control their substance abuse while maintaining a healthy and productive lifestyle for themselves and their families.

We shouldn't ignore those who truly wish for help, but we also shouldn't give blindly.
Fang is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook