Thread: food stamps
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013, 02:36 PM   #17
Doll
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Doll has a reputation beyond reputeDoll has a reputation beyond reputeDoll has a reputation beyond reputeDoll has a reputation beyond reputeDoll has a reputation beyond reputeDoll has a reputation beyond reputeDoll has a reputation beyond reputeDoll has a reputation beyond reputeDoll has a reputation beyond reputeDoll has a reputation beyond reputeDoll has a reputation beyond reputeDoll has a reputation beyond reputeDoll has a reputation beyond reputeDoll has a reputation beyond reputeDoll has a reputation beyond reputeDoll has a reputation beyond reputeDoll has a reputation beyond reputeDoll has a reputation beyond reputeDoll has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by delila77 View Post
food stamps here is totally biased.my ma was going to get some and they wanted her to surrender her house and everything when she passes on. you actually have to sign a contract stating that.
It's little known but true of almost everything in some states - not just for food stamps but for everything - medicare, etc.

We got burned by this big time. My mother and father in law were on medicare - just the last 2 years of their lives (they died within a month of one another). My mother in law was in a home for about a year and a half, my father in law was fighting cancer.

When they passed, we got a letter from the state several months later saying they were taking everything. The life insurance money, the house, the car, EVERYTHING OF VALUE that was in his estate up to the amount that was "owed", less a small amount for funeral costs.

Some of these things were already distributed among his children, and we had to pay BACK whatever we had received.

Not that there was much, but my father in law paid for life insurance so his wife would be taken care of and so kids would have something when he passed - not so he could give it to the state. He could not have even been informed of this (it must have been in the fine print and not outlined to him when he signed on) or he would not have been continuing to pay the premiums.

He was a good man, a hard worker and paid a whole lot of taxes his whole life. He made pretty good money, and planned well for his retirement but when he got cancer the money ran out pretty fast and they had no choice but to resort to medicare for himself and his wife those last two years.

So he paid taxes all those years to the state, never used a penny of social assistance his whole life. Used medicare the last two years of his life, and then they took everything he left behind.

It's not that we're all that pissed about not getting any money - it wouldn't have been much anyway and we would rather have our dad back than any money :( But it burns my a$$ that he spent those last two years paying for life insurance premiums he could barely afford just for the state to take the money. That and he obviously wasn't well informed of what he was signing away when he signed up to receive medicare or we would have known about it BEFORE he passed away - he was a financial advisor and tax consultant, there was a lot of discussion about what was to happen in the time before his death and he had a comprehensive will. He didn't know.

Last edited by Doll; 07-11-2013 at 02:39 PM..
Doll is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook