Thread: tail dances
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2013, 08:22 PM   #37
Gledanh Zhinga
Blacksmith

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Gledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond repute
Gledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
More to the story

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe View Post
The late Andy Thunder Cloud was responsible for learning these songs and transferring them to the HoChunk.
In my 7-12-06 post, I talked about Clyde Warrior[RIP], Ponca, and a Hochunk man singing hethuska songs to each other. On July 13, 2013, I visited with Tony Isaacs of Indian House Recordings at the Taos Pueblo Powwow, and I mentioned this to him. He remembered it, because he roomed with Clyde when they were students in Norman, OK. Because Tony and I were both acquainted with Clyde, we remembered the story this way. The man Clyde was comparing songs with was Andy Thundercloud.

Clyde would sing a hethuska song and Andy would then sing it but with different words. Clyde would sing another and Andy would respond with the same, but with Hochunk words. Clyde was attempting to reach way back and pull forth a song that Andy wouldn't know, but to no avail. As they continued, Andy would always have a response.

Tony Isaacs says that he saw this Clyde/Andy singing back and forth in person, that it wasn't just hearsay.

This brings us to the idea that the Hochunk have not been given enough attention regarding the hethuska and its origins.

Last edited by Gledanh Zhinga; 07-20-2013 at 02:20 PM..
Gledanh Zhinga is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook