View Single Post
Old 07-21-2013, 10:47 PM   #11
Joe's Dad
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll View Post
Oh and Joe's Dad - I'm not sure what you mean to clarify exactly... Hart High is indeed in Newhall, but Newhall is in the Santa Clarita Valley..?
For some of us who born in this area almost 60 years ago, Santa Clarita is pretty new.

Traveling through the late 1950's to the early 1970's (I, like you left the area where I was raised. Don't know about you, but I left for almost 30 years), there were distinct areas known as Newhall and Saugus. The area pre-Magic Mountain known as Valencia didn't exist. On the corner where Hwy 99 (now I-5) and Hwy 126 met was a restaurant called Tip's and a small gas station. All the area known today as Santa Clarita was pretty much scrub oak and tumbleweeds. My grandparents and father were downstream when the dam at St. Francis broke.

I played high school basketball in 1969 locally. We played Canyon High School that year. Pretty sure that was the year it opened. If it isn't, that is the first year it was in our league.

If you travel the old 99 through the Newhall Pass, you can see, and mostly imagine, the sights of yesteryear. (Anybody remember the water cascading down the side of the mountain between Newhall and Sylmar?

Maybe this will help...

Santa Clarita, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To give you an idea, there was a spot 19 miles north of Ojai where you could see the reflection of the ocean. It was 46 miles to the ocean. Today, with all the 'progress' of such places like Santa Clarita, you can't see the mountains for the smog.

In Ventura County at that time, all the houses and agriculture was on the plains floor. Today, what is known as the Oxnard Plains looks like Los Angeles. Again...progress.

To all the outsiders moving into your area, you only know it as Santa Clarita. So yeah, Hart High School is in Newhall...and Newhall IS in the Santa Clarita Valley. Those of us born to the area have a little different perspective.

Us old people, we remember. lol

Enough of the geographics and demographics. Let's not veer away from the topic of the thread.

Good luck in trying to change the name of the Hart High School Indians before your daughter gets to high school. It will be a major endeavor.

I forgot to mention we played Hart High that year, also. lol

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Last edited by Joe's Dad; 07-21-2013 at 11:22 PM..
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook