View Single Post
Old 07-22-2013, 12:29 AM   #15
Doll
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Doll has a reputation beyond reputeDoll has a reputation beyond reputeDoll has a reputation beyond reputeDoll has a reputation beyond reputeDoll has a reputation beyond reputeDoll has a reputation beyond reputeDoll has a reputation beyond reputeDoll has a reputation beyond reputeDoll has a reputation beyond reputeDoll has a reputation beyond reputeDoll has a reputation beyond reputeDoll has a reputation beyond reputeDoll has a reputation beyond reputeDoll has a reputation beyond reputeDoll has a reputation beyond reputeDoll has a reputation beyond reputeDoll has a reputation beyond reputeDoll has a reputation beyond reputeDoll has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Thanks Joe's Dad, I would have liked to have seen it before all the development. I very much enjoy visiting some of the places they have kept up - we love visiting Mentryville and the historical society that preserved the old Saugus train station, with a tiny schoolhouse and the tiny church, etc. One of my favourite things about it here is how much historical buildings they have preserved. Up until about a year ago (when they finally succumbed to the elements) there were still tattered old curtains on the windows one of the little shack houses in Mentryville.

I would feel better about the mascot if it was indeed respectful - still wouldn't be thrilled, but better. But the spirit wear has an angry looking "savage-like" character on it, and it doesn't appear that any sense of respect is taught or encouraged to the students judging by the principal's endorsement of the rally videos I've seen. It's not the kind of portrayal I want my daughter to be a part of at all, and I shudder to think of what she would be faced with if she (God forbid) decided she wanted to be on the cheer team or something.

I don't expect that things will truly change anytime soon. But they need to keep hearing that it's not appropriate to use a race of people as a goofy mascot, or it never will change.
Doll is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook