View Single Post
Old 08-24-2013, 10:15 AM   #6
yaahl
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Jenniebee, on your other thread about the indian paintbrush, I listed off 26 questions for you to read up on so you might get started with learning about us. I note that you have not tried to answer any of them. I gave you those questions so that you might be able to see just how big a topic First Nation history, culture, politics and languages can be.

I think what I am finding the most offensive with your posting is that you appear to be under the impression that a) only the US has Natives and b) that we're all some kind of pan-indian tribe that all get along and just love the old mother earth. You speak as if there is only one big pow wow and we all go to it. It appears that you can not or maybe even will not accept that First Nations in North America are many in different nations. A Mi'kmaq is not the same as a Lakota nor are they both the same as an Yupik or Tlingit. A Flathead is not the same as a Anishnabe and a Cree is not the same as an Haudosuanee. A Haida is not the same as a Carrier, Sekani, Git'kan, Bella Coola and a Tutchone is not the same as a Kwan'lin Dun.

In Canada alone, there are 51 different language groups spoken amongst our peoples divide those groups into dialects that number in the hundreds. Did you seriously think someone from Cape Breton Island speaking Mi'kmaq is going to understand someone from Tutchone from Mayo Yukon?

Back to Pow wows. There is a pow wow every weekend in almost every midwestern state from May until Oct. From Oct to May there are countless indoor pow wow for Chrismas, children and of course the GON. There are competition powwows, gatherings, family pow wows, tribal powwows and the list is endless for the reason to hold a pow wow. Then there are the potlatches, round dances and countless other forms of celebration that we have. Then there are those tribes/nations that have adopted pow-wowing in the east and they too, hold a pow-wow about every weekend for the summer. Just how many words that say "Thank you" do you want to learn again? You are sadly under the impression that one word fits all.

In my mother's language, there are 12 ways to say thank you. It all depends on who and what you are thanking. If you can't tell that there are many. many nations with their own unique language and ways of defining their family units/government and social structures then how would you ever know who to say what thank you to and not come off sounding like a white chick trying to sound clever?

If you want to learn about First Nations I would suggest you try what my grandmother would say, "Time to take the cotton batten out of your ears and stick it in your mouth." Or as I would say to my new recruits that just want to let everyone know how stupid they are by opening their mouths, "Time to put yourself on radio recieve and stop transmitting."

Read, listen, observe then talk.
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.
yaahl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook