View Single Post
Old 08-24-2013, 08:11 PM   #10
Josiah
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Yaahl spoke of First Nation Peoples
Down in the States, in my neck of the woods (Oklahoma) the Dine`( Navajo) language is only spoken by those that speak that language. We have 50 other languages that are spoken here and that is just Oklahoma!!!
Think of Europe when you think of Indian Nations for the nation part of that says a lot...
We are separate and distant Nations with culture and language that Anthropologists and Entomologists and all the other gists have been trying to classify for 500 years and still get it wrong!!
It has been my experience that nothing speaks of just wrong is when a person assumes that you speak that language comes up and say yatahey!!! For one thing you pronounced it wrong and you look an idiot when you would have been better off just saying How with you right hand raised up (Lol not really).

How about a nice cultural greeting like:
Hello my name is _____
Hope you and the family are well today...
Have you eaten yet?
Come eat with us at our camp...
(oops that is native way Lol)
But then that is a polite greeting

An English person by their accent (which sticks out a bit) plus your mastery of the English language will in itself open up the conversation! For one you are a stranger, plus one that is far from home, it would cause most natives to invite you to meet the family. At the very least it will open up the conversation mill!!
Plus you have saved yourself the embarrassment of misspeaking and assuming the Native before you speaks what ever language you attempted to learn.

Its been my experience that if you are in a place far from home:
Be Polite
Be gracious
And smile
Before you know it they are inviting you to meet the Fam!
This is advice from a Sailor that has been around the World!