View Single Post
Old 09-06-2013, 11:44 AM   #18
OLChemist
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaahl View Post
Have you ever had Birch Syrup? Made from Birch trees instead of the traditional maple tree syrup.
No. I'd like to try it. I know it is heresy, but I've never much liked maple syrup. And I mean the real, from the Vermont woods stuff, not the miracle of modern organic chemistry stuff. One of the aromatic esters or aldehydes hits my nose the wrong way, probably the propanal. (Since my first encounter with it while running a DNP test in orgo, I've hated the smell. My closest near barf in a lab came when I was handed a test tube full of the stuff for my first unknown in instrumental. The prof handed it to me, I uncapped it and nearly hurled. Gagging, I blurted out the name of the compound before he even got done writing the number of the unknown in his grade book, LOL. Is this too much information, LOL?) But it whatever it is, it is mostly gone in maple sugar candy, which I love.

But having misspent some of my childhood in PA, I've had Birch Beer. I remember my horror when I ordered a Black Cow when I was doing my undergrad work in TN. It was made with A&W root beer. Everyone -- at least everyone in certain areas in PA -- knows it's supposed to be chocolate ice cream in birch beer. We had a short lived Philly Cheesesteak place, with real cheesesteaks, birch beer and Tasty Kakes. It lived about a year; everyone down here expects a cheese steak to be seasoned like carne asada and topped with a slug of nacho cheese sauce and pickled jalapenos.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook