Thread: Apache Style
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #16
OLChemist
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica_93 View Post
Do I need ribbon on my skirt?
Are you talking about altering the outfit in the above picture? If so, I would strongly recommend covering your arms. I was taught that bare arms are inappropriate.

Believe me I understand college student budget restrictions. But, I am assuming your goal is not to have people look at you and start a betting pool on what your twinkie test score would be :)

Twinkie Test

Let me speak bluntly from my experiences as a fair skinned mixed-blood. In a group of Native people who don't know you, you stick out. You motives may be questioned. And as a relative newcomer to the arena, not being phenotypically "Indian" and not have family to support you in the circle, you'llwant to keep a low profile until you have made connections. Thus conforming closely to either tribal or dance style clothing norms is a good idea.

A simple T-dress can be made very easily. Hit the right sales and you're probably talking $20-$40 dollar, depending. Almost all of the sewing is straight seams. The hem is the hardest part. Judging from the above picture your biggest fitting problem would be in the bust. So, if you're seamstress impaired, it is still manageable. A belt and drag, a modest breastplate, a purse, a few tasteful pieces of beadwork, shawl, fan, some mocs, leggings, and you're good to go.

Last edited by OLChemist; 12-05-2013 at 10:45 AM..
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook