View Single Post
Old 06-01-2014, 12:43 PM   #2
AmigoKumeyaay
On The Rocks

Items ElephantTreasure ChestPresentPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyNoKin View Post
I am interested in learning more about Shawnee culture as it is currently.

Watching Stomp dance video and the various costumes or outfits, I wonder about the traditional and what it might have looked like compared, if there is ever any attempt to remain traditional instead of using non-traditional materials (plastics, etc.) in the outfits.

As well, what is the general opinion of these outfits? Is it something that is considered a "costume" or is it something that has more reverence and respect? I am obviously very lacking in any knowledge of pow wows in general, but want to learn.

I am not native in any way, but am a giver and sympathetic to native american issues, not for any personal gain, just knowledge and learning so that I can be better equipped to speak about these things with people when I give to them.

Thank you!
Welcome to Powwows.com Johnny!

First item: Dance regalia should never be called "a costume".

Some dancers make their dance regalia out of traditional materials, and some are more contemporary.

You will see both at most powwows.

At a more ceremonial setting, if you are allowed to attend, you probably will see the more traditional regalia and clothing. It's up to the local tribe and their elders what is appropriate in each situation.

Many good discussion threads to read up here, videos & photos also! Enjoy!
AmigoKumeyaay is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook