View Single Post
Old 06-01-2014, 08:38 PM   #5
Josiah
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyNoKin View Post
OK, well, thank you for that answer and please forgive my ignorance. I am very glad I didn't use the term "costume" with the Shawnee people I'm talking to, so now I've been schooled a bit and know to use the term regalia instead.

I am in contact with the Shawnee tribe (not Absentee) and am most likely going to go to a Pow Wow at some point. Glad to know these things. Right now I feel like a completely stupid white guy who knows nothing and will most likely get laughed at or dirty looks when I go there. My questions are more out of ignorance than anything. And I should have thought about the length of history with which whites have been in contact with native peoples and how products have been in your hands for over 400 years.

I love your quote: Celebrating and Moving Forward. I will have to keep that in mind when I foolishly try to keep the image of native American culture too primitive in my mind. But it is also interesting that some actually do a bit of reenacting and I guess that raises other questions for me.

One thing that strikes me is how some seem to be reverent and totally into the spirit of the dance in videos I've watched and other folks seem to act like they're being forced to be part of something they're not really that interested in, which makes me think "Wow..."

Have not seen but a few videos so that is perhaps a small glimpse of what is out there.

In any case, thank you for your answers. I appreciate learning and the way that you handled my ignorance. Peace!
The Reenactors I was speaking of are Not Native nor are they looked upon by natives with fondness, actually I would describe it as they are looked upon with Disdain.

As for the Shawnee, they were removed from Indiana, Illinois and places to the east to Indian Territory, some 150 years ago so I am not sure those that you speak of, but I can assure you the main body of the tribes that make up the Eastern Shawnee, Loyal Shawnee and Absentee Shawnee all reside in Oklahoma. That would include Culture, Language and Recognition as a Tribal Nation.