View Single Post
Old 06-01-2014, 09:13 PM   #7
AmigoKumeyaay
On The Rocks

Items ElephantTreasure ChestPresentPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyNoKin View Post
OK, well, thank you for that answer and please forgive my ignorance. I am very glad I didn't use the term "costume" with the Shawnee people I'm talking to, so now I've been schooled a bit and know to use the term regalia instead.

I am in contact with the Shawnee tribe (not Absentee) and am most likely going to go to a Pow Wow at some point. Glad to know these things. Right now I feel like a completely stupid white guy who knows nothing and will most likely get laughed at or dirty looks when I go there.

One thing that strikes me is how some seem to be reverent and totally into the spirit of the dance in videos I've watched and other folks seem to act like they're being forced to be part of something they're not really that interested in, which makes me think "Wow..."

In any case, thank you for your answers. I appreciate learning and the way that you handled my ignorance. Peace!
Johnny, you can see people doing all types of things, just like inside a church, let the Creator be their judge, only he knows their hearts. You can see teens out in the arena texting on phones while shuffling their feet...I guess their not frozen in time but it does not look right to me when you have singers providing a song to dance to.

Take it from me, I'm 100% Irish, and attend many powwows and gatherings. You cannot please all of the people all of the time. Just be pleasant and respectful. In fact...watch out for people that come up and want to be your instant friend

As people keep seeing you, they will watch you, wonder what your real motivation is. I had a very respected Elder tell me they watch outsiders for a whole year before giving them even the smallest trust.
AmigoKumeyaay is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook