Thread: Redhorse cafe
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2014, 02:46 PM   #41748
RDNKJ
Lion of Judah

Items Elephant$DevilSword
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
RDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond repute
RDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
Yes. The ones I've had were all sweet, egg doughs -- like a brioche or kolache. It was explained to me it that it is made with sugar or honey because the loaf commemorates the manna from heaven which was sweet. But that could be like some of the legends floating around about our cultures.

@RDNKJ Which recipe? The Rosh Hashanah one or the Sabbath one?

Have you made the lekakh recipe in that book? It was another "make it often" cake of my grad school. It is a good freezer cake.
Challah for Rosh Hashana/New Years is made sweeter than everyday challah - for a "sweet new year." The "manna from heaven" explanation is a legit one, one of many. Everything is symbolic, from the number of braids, when it's braided and when not, why it's covered on the Shabbos table, etc..

+++++++++++++

I don't remember if it's the Rosh Hashanah or Shabbos one. I write keeper recipes down in a notebook so I don't have to have multiple cookbooks open at once. I'll look when I get home tonight. I'll also resurrect the recipes thread and post it there.

+++++++++++++

Next time I make challah, I think I'll make some extra dough. I've often wondered what challah frybread would be like.

+++++++++++++

Yes, I've made her lekach (honey cake). It's good, but I have another recipe I use. It's one of our local rabbi's mother's recipes. It's much better than the dry honey cake most people make.

Last edited by RDNKJ; 08-13-2014 at 02:50 PM..
RDNKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook