View Single Post
Old 10-02-2014, 04:41 PM   #19
koyoteh
Junior Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
koyoteh is off the scalekoyoteh is off the scalekoyoteh is off the scalekoyoteh is off the scalekoyoteh is off the scalekoyoteh is off the scalekoyoteh is off the scalekoyoteh is off the scalekoyoteh is off the scalekoyoteh is off the scalekoyoteh is off the scalekoyoteh is off the scalekoyoteh is off the scalekoyoteh is off the scale
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
who am I you ask?

I am Yaqui on my moms side and yes Mexica on my dads.
I live in southern California.
Yaqui grandpa from TUcson arizona decided to move to southern california.

my "mexican" side are more than one tribe. Mexica. Mayan. Zacateca.

my family has gone through all the labels so I know that labels do not say much.

Hispanic means you are from Hispania. OF which i am not.
Latino means you come from latin speaking countries. of which i do not.

Mexican can mean anything. Can mean a citizen of the United States of Mexico. Of which I am not. But my great grandparents were on my dads side. I am a citizen of the United States of America. but my citizenship is not who i am .

I am chicano being that i am native descendant who's family grew up in urban cities along with other native descendants in the cities. side by side. becoming disconnected or not. WOrking. Experiencing the city life as a native descendant with existing discrimination, police brutality, economic strife, segregation. etc.

I am 42.

being from and in southern california, i come across and also get to know and talk to all types of natives from cali, from the east, from the midwest, from canada, and of course from mexico. since we are so close to the border.

many origin stories have been shared here. Many experiences and political views. YEs even shocking ones that some may call garbage.
There are plenty of native language teachers here. My kids learned, i did not. a few words and sentences here and there for myself.

there was a time when i was involved in a lot of things. GOt to see much.
got to be involved in issues that affect natives of different tribes not just my ownself or my own family.

got to see groups get created that would use peoples stories in the wrong way. Some for their people. some against other people.

saw groups grow to protect people.

saw stories get shared and learned and saw pride and inspiration grow.

saw self sufficiency grow and people stand up for self sufficiency goals.

saw the peoples and then native elders no longer being scared and coming out to stand tall against the system.

all that from learning stories. the good and the bad.

best goal for a warrior out here, is to promote and protect self sufficiency for their community and all that THAT entails.and then PROTECT IT and THE COMMUNITY THAT LIVES IT.

Last edited by koyoteh; 10-02-2014 at 04:48 PM..
koyoteh is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook