View Single Post
Old 11-10-2014, 03:28 PM   #18
TeenaBear
Hello from SoCal

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
TeenaBear has a reputation beyond reputeTeenaBear has a reputation beyond reputeTeenaBear has a reputation beyond reputeTeenaBear has a reputation beyond reputeTeenaBear has a reputation beyond reputeTeenaBear has a reputation beyond reputeTeenaBear has a reputation beyond reputeTeenaBear has a reputation beyond reputeTeenaBear has a reputation beyond reputeTeenaBear has a reputation beyond reputeTeenaBear has a reputation beyond reputeTeenaBear has a reputation beyond reputeTeenaBear has a reputation beyond reputeTeenaBear has a reputation beyond reputeTeenaBear has a reputation beyond reputeTeenaBear has a reputation beyond reputeTeenaBear has a reputation beyond reputeTeenaBear has a reputation beyond reputeTeenaBear has a reputation beyond reputeTeenaBear has a reputation beyond reputeTeenaBear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
@TeenaBear, let's step aside from the cultural appropriation issues for a moment and let's just look at the sexual message within these "Pocahottie" costumes, of which these children's costumes are often a subset.

(Putting aside the disturbing and disgusting sexualization of children.) Wearing one of these outfits that conforms to dominant culture ideas of our women's dress, gender roles, and sexual availability just reenforces the stereotypes. It is a tiny step in the chain that leads to the ER, the rape crisis center, the homeless shelter, so on. For us as Native women to choose to ignore the objectification and distortion of our traditional roles is to bow to the colonizer's yoke.
I see your logic, however, if you feel that strongly about costumes in general and the cultural aspects of holidays, then I would hope that you too are not conforming to "the American way" and celebrating such a holiday that strays away from our traditional values...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Dad View Post
Good post. Is there any other Disney Princess character dressed in a short dress or are all others in long sequined gowns?
I can name a few. Let's start with Princess Jazmine and Princess Ariel. As a mother, if my daughter wanted to dress up as them, that would be fine, however, I would be sure that she wore something underneath to make it more modest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardancer View Post
Dang , I didn't even get a chance to get up on my "high horse" !

Last edited by Toolbox; 11-12-2014 at 11:17 PM..
TeenaBear is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook