View Single Post
Old 11-13-2014, 05:35 PM   #80
solitare
Champion Dancer

Items Tree
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
solitare has a reputation beyond reputesolitare has a reputation beyond reputesolitare has a reputation beyond reputesolitare has a reputation beyond repute
solitare has a reputation beyond reputesolitare has a reputation beyond reputesolitare has a reputation beyond reputesolitare has a reputation beyond reputesolitare has a reputation beyond reputesolitare has a reputation beyond reputesolitare has a reputation beyond reputesolitare has a reputation beyond reputesolitare has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilisi View Post
I mean no disrespect. This thread is a lot to chew on LOL. Don't take it that I was taking issue with YOU. I'm still OK with a good discussion for what it's worth, but these questions have loomed for a long time for a lot of people. How else could my NDN grandad carve ornate carvings of the stations of the cross at a catholic church in Oakland, and yet refer to himself as the 'colonel of hell' when someone tried to preach to him? LOL

Regarding your curiosity:
Although I have respect for scholarly circles, I have never felt scholarly circles or collegiate theologies have come close to understand the NDN or represent his interests when it comes to spirituality. It was a response to your earlier statement.

"The fact that people believe that Christians believe that all non believers go to hell can be ascribed to the fact that this may be the loudest voice the world hears but the fact is that there are many different scholarly thoeries as to the issue of "Salvation" vs."Grace" and spiritual life after physical death.AND an important note on this issue is that the most reputable Seminaries teach them all. Not just one theory."
O.K. cool I get what you are saying. Thank you for clarifying. This statement helped me to understand better.

Regarding your curiosity:
Although I have respect for scholarly circles, I have never felt scholarly circles or collegiate theologies have come close to understand the NDN or represent his interests when it comes to spirituality. It was a response to your earlier statement.

I do agree whole heartedly . I think it is only very recent that some churches have taken an interest in where they have been wrong with the Native population and are attempting to make amends, as well as steps not to repeat such wounding. I am not advertising, but I know in the church I attend they insist it is Native people who are in control of those ministries to ensure that healing and no more wounding takes place. Listening to those conversations has made it evident to me that this is a huge issue and that there is a great need for this kind of discussion to lead the way toward better ministries that build Native culture and not tear down. It's interesting to me.Especially after listening to the experiences that my own sweetheart has shared with me about church on his reservation. Made me cry for everyone who had forgotten to love their neighbor.
solitare is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook