Thread: Native Research
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2014, 10:29 PM   #2
Josiah
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Random Thoughts, Questions and

When starting out tracing genealogy it is a good idea to have a starting place
A good first step is you...
Then precede backwards to parents, grandparents ect....
I have used sites like Ancestry.com and those little leafs but after several generations errors seem to creep in. I noticed that some folks seem to just incorporate into their tree inaccurate information. Such as birth and death dates that overlap or redundant information of siblings ect ect. Well I was spending more time figuring what was correct or not that I just deleted whole sections and started over.

Which brings up my first Question: What do you hope to gain from this research??
I think this is a most important question, because if you are just looking for trivia then accuracy is not important.
But if really want to know then accuracy is most important!! For this research can be passed down, those family stories can be confirmed or dispelled.

My next question is: rumors of native ancestry?
Ah now that is the million dollar question... This is the very hard part to this research, getting past the broken chain. That is what this is: links in a chain stretching back in time it starts with you and goes backwards. But those chains also connect to your siblings and your parents siblings and so forth. You must research by family its easier to nail down facts when you know for a fact grandpa had three brothers and you find them on a census.
If you find in all your research you family lived well away any tribal nations its usually a good indication that they were not native...

To be continued...