View Single Post
Old 11-28-2014, 01:51 AM   #23
gilisi
Pow Wow Committee

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
gilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond repute
gilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeenaBear View Post
I think the questions presented in this thread are great and eye opening! If you have any further information, I encourage you to share it with the group. It is rather interesting that the Native culture south of the border is very different than in the states. I mean, the Pueblo Indians are a border nation. I wonder how many went south of the Rio Grande and claimed to be Mexican...?

Do you? I don't know. After reading the OP's initial post, it feels as though someone started an open critique of Mexican food based on a dining experience at taco bell; or started a summation of NDN spirituality after a reverent viewing of dances with wolves.

Maybe I have become too cynical.

One of my closest friends is from the Popoluca tribe of Mexico. He is proud of his heritage, grew up speaking his language, and is familiar with the unwritten knowledge of his own people going back centuries. We are as close as brothers. I don't know why I'm even sharing this. I am very familiar with the struggles he has experienced in his lifetime for being 'Indio', some of them shared. Neither he, or any of my Mexican family has been involved in gangs. He has never pretended to be something or someone he is not. He has never been to a powwow, or hung a dream catcher in his car. he has paid taxes every year he's been here.

I couldn't be more proud of anyone. I look up to him like an older brother. We have referred to each other as 'Indio' as a term of endearment, and we will continue to do so.

Someone started a thread in these forums in the past titled "Do white people think their race is important?" or something to that effect. I want to say I believe EVERY race is important, as long as there are good people in it.

So, finally, I guess I want to say to the OP...If you want to know about Mexicans...go to Mexico, or even to college. Don't ask rhetorical questions packed with accusation towards a people not even present to mount a defense.

And for crying out loud @CatMan, before you ask one more question, give some information about yourself, and thank people who take the time to respond to you. Who are you? where are you from? Are your people in touch with their roots? Are you? It's no wonder no one has answered your questions to your satisfaction.

"Show me somethin"
gilisi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook