View Single Post
Old 12-18-2014, 02:41 AM   #15
subeeds
small bead addict

Items ElephantPresentDolphinRainbow
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiathLeFey View Post
I have come across the issue of white people practicing Native American traditions being viewed as offensive. Is this really a widespread perspective?

I ask because I am beginning Shamanic training, and my mentor incorporate Lakota practices. He danced in the Sun Dance and he is white, and he was taught these practices by Lakota people. When I was a child I attended a Native American camp, lead by members of the Seneca and Mohawk. We were taught traditions, they really resonated with me and I want to further this exploration. I know that physically I am white, but my soul identifies with every race and I don't see race as a barrier. I am also interested in African tribal traditions, Buddhism, Shintoism, Hinduism and South American indigenous practices particularly of the Incans.

Well I want to pursue this with as much respect and honor as possible. I have no desire to offend anyone. I don't believe this will make me a Native American and I'm interested in getting involved with Native American activism, as I am getting involved with the #ICan'tBreathe movement.

Thoughts?
You want to know why it's offensive-and why so many Natives feel that white people should not practice Native ceremonies? Two words for you-James Ray. If you haven't heard of him, google him.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.
subeeds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook