Thread: New guy from CA
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2015, 04:59 PM   #20
OLChemist
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92GTA View Post
Based on some of the responses I got I was starting to think otherwise.
A friendly suggestion, tone down comments like the above. Let me tell you what I heard as I read that, based on my 30+ years of experience as a Native person working in academia and industry and being forced to act as a unpaid cultural educator:

"I didn't receive the grateful embrace I expected when I rode in as Lt Dunbar on my clever pony. You must not know your people's ways, if you're not eager share with another lost white guy or deculturated mixed-blood."

Now, I suspect you didn't consciously mean that. But, too many of us have had the experience of having some long estranged person, with a claim to distant Native descent, detonate when we don't give them unfettered access to precious and jealously guarded cultural patrimony. Knowledge many of us have worked most of our lives to cultivate. So, it will be helpful for your quest to be cautious and remember one learns with the eyes and ears, not the mouth:)

It sounds like you're only a generation from family. If you want to learn, get home. I'm sure your family has elders who would appreciate a visit from a respectful young man with a couple bags of groceries and a willing pair of hands to help. Shut your mouth and listen up. A wealth of treasures are gained when you serve your family and community.

And if you have those tapes, I suspect there are folks who might be interested. Wazhazhe ie lost it's last native speaker in 2005. People are fighting to save it.

Last edited by OLChemist; 03-28-2015 at 05:27 PM.. Reason: Proofreading is not just a good idea, but really should be a good habit.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook