View Single Post
Old 06-06-2015, 02:00 AM   #17
subeeds
small bead addict

Items ElephantPresentDolphinRainbow
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
You are a newcomer to Indian Country. A trait that is very valuable to cultivate is patience. In my experience nothing in Native ways is learned quickly, except humility :)

Our elders have seen a lot of people come racing into our communities. Some have been in pursuit of research dollars, quick fix spirituality, a white-guilt get out of jail free card, instant Indianess... They want instant information to take away and use without return. (Nowhere in what I just wrote was I saying you were doing this.) This makes people skittish.

Even for folks born within the culture and community, knowledge does not come quickly. (Ask Wardancer, he will tell you he's an old guy but he's still learning.) This is part of our ways. People will test your commitment. If you go to a Lakota elder to ask for help, you may well be refused the first three times. Wowacintanka, perseverance, is a Lakota virtue. Patience walks and in hand with perseverance. (Says the woman who lacks both, LOL.)

You have been enculturated within the dominant culture to ask and you shall receive. This has its roots deep in the enlightenment and even deeper in the Hellenistic Greek ethos. You are heir to cultures that do not spring from those worldview. You are trying to enter those cultures. Therefore, you might do well to become aware that not all the world learns by direct interrogation. There are areas in all cultures about which questions are improper and even unwelcome. It is well to go slowly and take what answers you get. You may be warned away from those areas.
I hope you have all these gems in a file so you can just copy and paste them. It would save you LOTS of typing. Seems this is the question of the week a lot of times.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.
subeeds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook