View Single Post
Old 07-01-2015, 02:13 AM   #21
OLChemist
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Well, it's Tuesday evening.

Last night we had a gallery talk and a the instructors exhibit opening. Good art and a good talk.

Since this is powwows.com and all conversations eventually gets to food, I'll cut to the chase. We have had two Native haute cuisine tasting with dishes by Chef Freddie Bitsoie. Hominy with bacon and onions, two salads with ingredients I can't completely recall, agave cured salmon and pinion nut soup.

Dr Lios Ellen Frank spoke during lunch today about using traditional foodways to address health issues within Native communities. She also discussed the similarities and differences between science and traditional environmental knowledge. She is a dynamic speaker. Shame she didn't have another hour.

In the studio, we have been working hard. There is a group of folks who have taken this workshop several times. I think they are in the corner fabricating an entire jewelry store to inlay, LOL. I've got a pendant working. My cousin is more adventurous; she is doing a bracelet. There are a couple of us intermediate folks. And there are a few torch-virgins who are just starting out. We have students from California, Maine, Texas, Vermont and Australia.

I have learned so much in just these two days. Mr Tsosie is so generous, sharing information and techniques. I have already learned: a much better way to fabricate sterling buckle hardware. A better way to make a bail. I had pictures of his work and his brother's in my studio and my inspiration book. But to actually hold it and study it has been an education. (Not to mention watching someone with that level of mastery work is an esthetic experience of itself. His saw work is the best I have ever seen.)

Last edited by OLChemist; 07-01-2015 at 02:16 AM..
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook