View Single Post
Old 07-25-2015, 11:31 PM   #13
OLChemist
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Welcome back.

As I suspect you already know, phenotype doesn't make an Indian. Nor does paper. Indian relatives and community enculturating you make an Indian. Sounds like you've got that down.

However, as we fair skinned mixed bloods know -- just like our dark-skinned kin -- phenotype is often the first thing strangers use to sort people into "us" and "them" categories. Reflecting on the mists of prehistory, when dinosaurs roamed the earth, I seem to recall that at 14 I found it pretty important to fit into the right "us" group. At that age, there was little worse than feeling like the oddball, except being singled out as the misfit. I'm not putting you down for this.

If you are concerned about not fitting in, then I would suggest getting your family to help you out. Perhaps they could get you some tobacco to take to some respected local dancers in the style you want to dance. Take you time and talk to them, maybe you can find a mentor to guide you into the circle. Under the tutelage of an established dancer, you're less likely to face judgement or commit a faux pas when entering the circle.

That is this old lady's free advice. It may only be worth exactly what you paid for it, LOL.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook