View Single Post
Old 08-06-2015, 03:54 PM   #31
Wakayosis
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Wakayosis has a reputation beyond reputeWakayosis has a reputation beyond reputeWakayosis has a reputation beyond reputeWakayosis has a reputation beyond reputeWakayosis has a reputation beyond reputeWakayosis has a reputation beyond reputeWakayosis has a reputation beyond reputeWakayosis has a reputation beyond reputeWakayosis has a reputation beyond reputeWakayosis has a reputation beyond reputeWakayosis has a reputation beyond reputeWakayosis has a reputation beyond reputeWakayosis has a reputation beyond reputeWakayosis has a reputation beyond reputeWakayosis has a reputation beyond reputeWakayosis has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
To answer your question.

As most posts have already explained, in the past these were worn only by men who earned it. Not going into detail as it this was already done. The women from Canada never wore head dresses (as far as I am aware).

Now a days, I see men who have not "earned" it per se but who have inherited them or, are worn by chiefs of either First Nation reservations or a leader within a First Nation organization that represent the masses. Even then those that have inherited them do not wear them (kind of frowned upon).

Today, I have seen a few select women who wear them but only because they are either the Chief of a First Nation reservation or, are Chiefs/vice-Chiefs of a major First Nation organization. My sister is the Chief of where I am from and she would never wear one (she was presented with a beaded crown though which she wears).

Now you being a non-First Nation, I would say no. You have not earned the right to wear one as stated above. Should you decide to wear one, be prepared to be criticized and confronted. Dancers from specific regions tend to know one another (known as the pow wow circle). Even though you wore one as a child and continued to dance pow wow throughout the years, that does not give you the right to wear one (someone tried to explain it to you by saying, if spent your whole career in the army, doesn't give you the right to wear a specific medal just because you can.... unless you earned it!).
Wakayosis is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook