Old 08-12-2015, 04:09 PM   #12
redroadbeadgirl
Junior Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
redroadbeadgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Me too

I too am one of the unlucky ones that doesn't look native. I'm half Plains Cree, but I have very green eyes (thanks Dad). I do beadwork and I'm also a photographer so I love to take pictures of Regalia. The last time I went to the Gathering of Nations, there were people of all races taking pictures all over the place, as they do every year. I never take a photo of someone without first asking permission, so I approached this very handsome man decked out in his regalia and he turned to me and said "if one more g*@ [email protected]!*d white person takes my picture I'm gonna deck somebody". I was so hurt and dumbfounded I literally burst into tears and walked out of the venue and I have never gone gone back (I live in New Mexico where the Gathering of Nations is held). That was 5 years ago.

The post from OlChemist said it better than I ever could, but there are mean people out there that will judge you by the color of your skin and assume that because you're not dark like them that you're not Indian. Indian is what you do to help your people (or if your people aren't close, then find a tribe to help, God knows they all need it). Keep your chin up and good luck.
redroadbeadgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook