Thread: S'mores
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2015, 10:36 AM   #3
OLChemist
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
I realize this is way off-topic for the recipes section, however....

I was at a gallery night event this weekend, and the friends of a colleague came over with their son. The kid is in his first year in a prestigious east coast university. His parents asked me to give him some advice for succeeding in school. (Which in and of itself is a hoot. Because for these type-A Ivy League parents to even ask me, indicates that they actually know nothing about my path to a PhD.) When I told him learn to fail, I thought they were going to cover his ears.

But, the truth is kids from the up and coming generation, particularly from certain socio-economic groups, have no experience failing. They never learn to limp home, lick your wounds, then pick up and try again the next day. They have no recovery skills. Any failure is the end of the world.

Last edited by OLChemist; 10-14-2015 at 12:32 PM..
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook