View Single Post
Old 10-23-2015, 05:07 AM   #6
OLChemist
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Where are you getting your information on these symbols? Your list sounds suspiciously like those antique postcards on Indian symbols or the charts you'll sometimes see in places that sell vintage stamped southwestern jewelry.

Vintage Postcards of Jewelry Stamps

I'm not Dine or from that area of the country so I don't know if this info is legit. But I frame in within my experience as an artist. When I started silversmithing, jewelry made with these stamps was passing out of fashion, but the stamps were still sold to jewelers in IJS, Thunderbird and the like. I remember one eager salesman give me the rundown on the "meaning" of a couple of stamps.

It seems to me these symbols have been created with in the context of intercultural trade. I've taken more than a few pieces of beadwork and jewelry to galleries. And I've been asked by the gallery buyer or the end purchaser if some design element or other has some esoteric meaning. I learned pretty fast, they didn't want to hear no. It impacts your bottom line. So, I've been known to spin a tale to romance a piece. The extra $100-200 gets you a little of my creative writing, LOL.

Last edited by OLChemist; 10-23-2015 at 08:30 AM.. Reason: Expanded post
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook