View Single Post
Old 10-23-2015, 08:26 AM   #7
OLChemist
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
All cultures encode information in visual symbols. These are understood within the context of that culture's history, religion and esthetic vocabulary. Native peoples are no different. Native peoples, however, have had our arts and religions alternately suppressed and pillaged to fulfill the needs of the dominant culture. In that process, old symbols have been appropriated and distorted, and new hybrid symbols created.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisistheday View Post
I find a lot of inspiration from your culture, all I ask is that you open your mind to mine.
Since you asked us to be open to your culture, I'm going to go request some explanation of your perspective. If you have indeed selected a genuine symbol of a particular tribe's culture, there are a few things I'd like to ask you:

1) What makes you, as an admitted outsider, think you fully understand the meaning of a symbol and the acceptable contexts in which it may be used? Is it because our cultures were historically termed primitive and thus must be easier to understand and free of the intellectual property constraints of "sophisticated" dominant culture?

2) You clearly declared your intention to mark yourself with symbols you attribute to us. Why do you feel free help yourself? Is it because you will respectfully steal our IP?

3) Why are you even asking? Are my objections going to make one iota of difference? Or will I just be one more inconvenient Indian standing athwart dominant culture desires?

Last edited by OLChemist; 06-21-2016 at 02:43 PM..
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook