View Single Post
Old 10-24-2015, 04:55 PM   #13
Grits & Beans
Ugh. As. If.

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Grits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond repute
Grits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardancer View Post
That says it all ! Doesn't matter what anyone thinks.

You asked for an opinion , I'll just say this: If you want to look stupid , do it ! That's my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by subeeds View Post
Since you say you have made up your mind, knock yourself out. Be sure you know what is what, or you are liable to end up like that bad cartoon where the girl gets a tat she thinks is Chinese for pretty or something like that, but really means slut.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
All cultures encode information in visual symbols. These are understood within the context of that culture's history, religion and esthetic vocabulary. Native peoples are no different. Native peoples, however, have had our arts and religions alternately suppressed and pillaged to fulfill the needs of the dominant culture. In that process, old symbols have been appropriated and distorted, and new hybrid symbols created.

Since you asked us to be open to you culture, I'm going to go request some explanation of your perspective. If you have indeed selected a genuine symbol of a particular tribe's culture, there are a few things I'd like to ask you:

1) What makes you, as an admitted outsider, think you fully understand the meaning of a symbol and the acceptable contexts in which it may be used? Is it because our cultures were historically termed primitive and thus must be easier to understand and free of the intellectual property constraints of "sophisticated" dominant culture?

2) You clearly declared your intention to mark yourself with symbols you attribute to us. Why do you feel free help yourself? Is it because you will respectfully steal our IP?

3) Why are you even asking? Are my objections going to make one iota of difference? Or will I just be one more inconvenient Indian standing athwart dominant culture desires?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardancer View Post
But you have , and you will. It doesn't matter how you try to justify it , because you've already decided. I have no idea why you even ask because it really doesn't matter. You are going to steal another cultures symbols and use them in a way that was never intended for them to be used. You will never gain respect for that , no matter how good the intentions are ! So just do whatever you want and don't ask us to approve it.....cause we won't !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Dad View Post
You wasted your time, and other's time. Such a waste.

whoa whoa whoa!!!! i'm sensing some hostility here guys jus chill aight

i happen to be a tattoo artist who learned from the best. just check out some samples of my high quality work, see attachments.

beautiful aren't they? i happen to have some free time at the moment and i would be happy to hook you up with an authentic native symbol tattoo from a real native american! woo hoo!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (64.2 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 2A.jpg (24.9 KB, 155 views)
Grits & Beans is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook