View Single Post
Old 10-25-2015, 08:08 AM   #18
OLChemist
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Thank you for listening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisistheday View Post
The shame is that all my cultures symbols have been raped and overused to the point that they no longer hold any meaning. Just another reason I turned to these because they hold great meaning and with such a blind eye turned to your culture I don't see that happening to them.
You don't see it because you're an outsider. But it has happened/is happening to us. I can take you on a road trip through the US and show you: distorted images of Shalakos used as signs to denote the gender of rest rooms, a state flag with a Pueblo symbol rendered in the colors of ancient Spain, drunken bikers with medicine wheel tattoos, an Anglo storefront fortune teller who will lay out a deck of tarot cards adorned with symbols taken from Lakota ceremonial altars, appropriated Cherokee depictions of the water spider tattooed on the knee of Anglo college girl, Yeis painted on the wall of a tourist trap, fake totem poles in front of gas stations, clan crests tattooed on the arm of a man who hadn't even heard of the Tribe whose symbol he had stolen.... How long do you have for the road trip?
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook