Thread: Redhorse cafe
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2015, 01:53 AM   #43336
subeeds
small bead addict

Items ElephantPresentDolphinRainbow
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
Well, I'm a bit late for the Thank God We Survived the Pilgrims feast report but (meaning ignore what I just said, LOL)....

I brined a turkey in a mix flavored with juniper berries, bay, brown mustard seeds, coriander, fennel, pepper corns, thyme, garlic, onion and cider. I made a chutney with cranberries, apricots, apples, crystallized ginger, onion, orange zest, cider vinegar and pecans to go with turkey. (It was killer on the sandwiches the next day.) We had wojapi, succotash, green beans with hazelnuts and dried cranberries, and mashed potatoes with chives and sour cream. Dessert was pumpkin pie and candied nuts with ginger.

For our after dinner entertainment, my cousin and I tried to assemble a jeweler's bench kit. Now that I'm an old geezer lady, my joints can't take bending over my work on an old school desk, LOL.

The 36" x 28" x 39" bench with three drawers, two catch trays and bench pin and mandrel supports came in two small boxes. All I was supposed to need was the included allen wrench, a flat head and philips screw driver. The instructions omitted the rubber mallet, the Foredom tool (to widen the counterbores enough to allow the screwheads to actually fit), a small chisel (to deepen the holes enough for the thread inserts to actually align with the bolt), the electric drill (to drill the missing pilot holes for the wood screws), and more arms than an octopus. I live in terror that there may have been a cell phone camera running, LOL. It was ugly.

Cranberry Chutney

1 cup pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped;
12 oz bag of fresh cranberries;
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and chopped;
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped;
2 Tbsp chopped crystallized ginger;
1/2 c dried apricots, coarsely chopped;
1 1/2 c light-brown sugar;
3/4 c water;
2/3 c cider vinegar;
Zest and juice of 2 oranges;
dash of nutmeg.

Combine cranberries, apples, orange zest and juice, sugar, water, vinegar, onion, apricots, ginger, and nutmeg in a large saucepan. Place over medium heat, and cook, stirring frequently, for 30 minutes. Stir in pecans. Cool to room temperature, and serve.

Adapted from a recipe in Martha Stewart's Good Food.

That's a lot of food! Glad I didn't have KP after all that. LOL!

So is the jeweler's bench put together yet? I have found out the hard way-kinda like you did-that those things always need "modification" in some way or another. Were the cats any help?

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.
subeeds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook