View Single Post
Old 01-29-2016, 06:39 AM   #2
Josiah
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leach View Post
With much faith and work, I was finally able to locate the names of my great grandmother's siblings.

Her name was Chief.
Her brother's name was Badger. (God of Protection)
Sister's name was Leola. (Prairie flower)
The other two siblings were named James and Judie.

They were all members of the Leach family.

I was able to find the meanings of Badger and Leola, but I am still wondering what was behind the name of great grandma. My GUESS is that since she was the first born , the parents saw her as a leader of some sort. It's a pretty strong name for a girl. LOL.

What do you guys think?

Names names names
This is perhaps the most often asked question when somebody is doing research on Native Roots.
There is no Universal truth on the Naming Convention of different tribes!
There are perhaps 1000 different ways that parents of each tribe name a child. Some at birth, some after they became a year old, some have several names like a private name, a public name ect ect...

So when asking an open ended question such as what do you think
I would reply
It Depends
On the Tribe
When it was, for naming is different today as was 100 years ago!
And don't get me started on Surnames!!

As for some of my Kinfolks the name is that a name
Big Mush
WhiteMan Killer
Floating Dog or Literally Dog that floats from the bottom

Last edited by Josiah; 01-29-2016 at 06:42 AM..
Josiah is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook